Saturday, August 23, 2008

It's a Challenge!

I just read Not Quite What I Was Expecting: Six Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure. It's a quick read inspired by Hemingway's six-word story "For Sale: baby shoes, never worn." Smith magazine invited its readers to submit their own six-word memoirs, and the results were published in this book. You can read some at: http://www.smithmag.net/sixwords/ or you can get the book. The challenge is for each of us to write our own six-word memoir. I have been trying to think of one since yesterday and still don't have mine, so I may lose this challenge myself!
Some of my favorites are:

Put whole self in, shook about
Without me, it's just aweso
The psychic said I'd be richer
I always suffered fools fairly well
Should have learned to count
Found great happiness in insignificant details

......and so many others! Try writing one yourself. It's hard! So far I've come up with, "I read books while drying hair." Okay, so I'm no Hemingway! I'll keep trying!

No comments: