Thursday, January 8, 2009

I finally checked the blog! Cindy we went to the college bound reading list site. It seems to have some off the wall listings that John and I had never even heard of, much less read. Some seemed to advanced for college BOUND to us, like War and Peace. That is one long book for a high schooler to have made it through. (my 'O'pinion, as Kevin says...)
I am copying the 2 recipes that Cindy and Paula requested.
Lemon Blueberry Bread fr.Perfect Party Foods (free fr. Taste of Home bks)
1/3 C margarine, melted
1C sugar
3T lemon juice
2 eggs
1-1/2 C flour
1t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 C mild
2T grated lemon peel (I grated)
1/2C chopped nuts (walnuts)
1C blueberries, fresh or frozen (frozen)
GLAZE (I didn't glaze it)
2T lemon juice
1/4C sugar
In a a mixing bowl, beat margarine, sugar, juice and eggs. Combine flour, b powder and salt: stir into egg mixture alternately with milk. Fold in peel, nuts and blueberries. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 60-70 minutes or until done. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Mix glaze. Remove bread from pan and drizzle with glaze. Cool on a wire rack. Yield 1 loaf.

Orange-Sugared Pecans fr.Taste of Home Holiday 2008
1-1/2C sugar
1/4C water
3T orange juice concentrate
2C pecan halves
1/2t grated orange peel
-In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and juice concentrate. Cook over medium-high heat, w/o stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 238 ( soft-ball stage). Remove fr. the heat; stir in pecans and orange peel. (I stirred until the sugar granules were dissolved, then stopped.)
-Beat until mixture thickens and loses its gloss, about 2 minutes. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper to set. Store in air tight container or ziplock baggies. Yield 2-1/2 dozen.
Debbie

2 comments:

ckbeck said...

I didn't make the list, just shared it because I thought some might find it interesting. I don't usually agree with the movie of the year on the Academy Awards, but I still find them interesting to watch.

ckbeck said...

I did go back and look at the list again. Most of the books are highly discussed in literature classes. There was one, Call It Sleep, that I had not heard of. Of course I haven't read them all; actually, I have only read 39of them, which is terrible for a literature major. I think the bookclub has read 3 as a group.